Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I get it now.

I never really understood why joining a gym was intimidating for people or why trying a new class would cause anxiety.  I was lucky enough to grow up with a father that was into sports and SHARED that love with his daughter. He actually shared that love with all his children. I AM LUCKY! And I use the word share because he not only signed me up for sports, but he participated with me. My dad was my BFF when it came to sports, well to be honest my dad was my BFF until I was in middle school and discovered boys.  Then it was my mom's turn to take over the BFF job. But back to my story. My dad took me to all my sports related activities and would either coach me or would sit through my practice and watch me. I NEVER had to do it on my own.  And then when I had a question or wanted to get better my dad would take me home and we would work on what ever skill I wanted to master. Like I said, I was LUCKY. Although I will blame my dad for one day in particular. We were getting ready to go to my first day of softball practice and he said to me "Jessica, get ready, these girls throw a lot faster and hit a lot harder than what you are use to." Well shit dad, thanks a lot. I freaked myself out. And when it came to warm up with the girls I freaked out even more and when the ball came hurling at me, I simply put my mitt up, closed my eyes and turned my head to the side.  It wasn't pretty folks, the ball hit me square in the cheek. OUCHIE and I looked like an idiot.


This would have been a smarter maneuver.
 

This is probably more or less what I looked like, but with a softball instead of a dodge ball.
 
 But luckily for me, my dad was there to help me recover. And we started throwing the ball a lot harder when we played catch at home, that never happened again. But over time, I just got use to a sport's setting. So as I grew up, PE class was just as comfortable. So when we got to middle school and it was time for the weight lifting section, it didn't scare me. I had never lifted anything in my life before, but since I was in PE class how hard could it be. It wasn't. And I didn't necessarily love it, but I didn't hate it either.

So what is the point to this long drawn out story?? Well, when it came time to join a gym, I had no anxiety what so ever about it, only excitement. When I wanted to start a new class, no big deal, I would just show up. The gym felt like PE class or a sports practice.  NO BIG DEAL TO ME!  But crossfit was a whole new show. I was scared and excited all at the same time. It felt like that first softball practice with the BIG girls, but worse. But once again, I had my dad by my side.  Not literally, but I could hear his words, "Jessica how hard could this be?" "So what if you aren't the best, we can always work on it." "No ONE is expecting you to be perfect on your first day!!!" The last one really stuck with me. So even though I was nervous, I walked through that door by myself.
And seriously this is what it seems like when you first walk in. In reality there aren't flashy words flying around and they are going just a smidge slower. LOL
 

And how was it????? It was great.  The people were super nice and the instructor was super nice. I walked into the gym at the end of their workout and to see those people push themselves that hard was AMAZING. I think I was sold at that point, but I keep telling myself to keep an open mind. But as of right now, I really like.  Last night we went over some crossfit basics and I learned a few things already.  The class is SUPER small, it was just me and another guy. When it came time to do an actual crossfit workout (WOD) I was pretty relieved it involved running. For the lifting section of it the trainer was right beside us encouraging us and helping us with our form. At the end of the work out, I felt pretty winded, but not horrible. Actually not that bad at all. NOW tonight might be a different story and that is what I like about this place. I won't be running every night or the same lifting moves night after night. I do have some things I need to work on, like the "push jerk" I just can't seem to get my timing right, once again I think I'm over thinking it. But like my dad always says, "we can work on it" and that is what I will do.

I keep wanting to land with locked knees (that's a no no!)

Tonight I will learn even more and I'm excited.  The anxiety has left now. But I get why people are anxious about joining a gym or class now. I 100% UNDERSTAND  IT NOW!!  But if you never take that step, you will never know if you are missing out something AMAZING.  And guess what?  There is a chance it may not be amazing, but you will never know unless you try. And remember, no one expects you to be a master on your first day.  Far from it. They know you will need some guidance and some support.  If you are thinking about trying something new, please take that step, don't let the fear or anxiety keep you from trying something new.

WOW this one got long! Sorry.  I was trying to keep it short. I hope you like the gifs, I thought they were funny. And if you haven't seen Arrested Development (first gif), please get out from underneath your rock and watch it on Netflix, freaking hilarious!!!

Have a great week folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment