Monday, June 17, 2013

What a Weekend!!

I was telling Jed last night that it didn't feel like everything we did this weekend was in ONE weekend. We weren't THAT busy, but it just felt like a busy, but lazy weekend. Does that even make sense? LOL

On Friday I went to Great Bend with R and we stayed the night at my parents house because I had the 5K at 7:30 the next morning. We got to Great Bend and had dinner with my parents at their favorite Mexican restaurant and I knew that I would eat chips and dip. I wasn't going to let myself feel guilty about it either. Since I knew that I would have chips and dip I decided to play it pretty safe with my dinner choice and I had a grilled chicken salad with NO dressing.  People I am seriously making progress.  A MONTH ago I would have had chips, dip, a HUGE burrito, or a salad smothered in ranch! Baby steps! I also had a LARGE glass of WATER.  I REALLY REALLY wanted a BIG ole margarita, but I resisted.

The next morning I woke up feeling okay (actually I felt like NOT running), R had slept in the same bed as me and kept moving around and I kept thinking he was going to roll off the bed. Needless to say, I got very little sleep. I woke up and  tried to update my playlist and my laptop was acting all slow and not cooperating. One of these days I am going to be rich and just pay someone to do all this crap for me, I really hate technology some times. I mean it is great that I can even have a play list, but it does me NO good when it is all from the 1st day that I openned an itunes account back in 2006ish (I don't know the exact date, but all my playlists are outdated!!!). So I was pissed that I couldn't get it all worked out before I needed to leave. Also it was about this time that I realized that I AM A MOM! Not only did I need to worry about what I was going to eat for my pre-race meal, what I was going to wear, what music I was going to listen to, or what ever else I was worried about, but I also had a precious 2 1/2 year old to get ready. And let me tell you, when he is at grandma and papa's house, he thinks he rules the house (which he does) and doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do.  Saturday morning he did NOT want to get dressed.  So I had to bribe/convince him to get dressed. UGH, I hate when our mornings start like that.  But needless to say, we made it to the race in time for me to stretch out.
See isn't he cute when he lets me get him dressed!! 

They announced that the half marathon and 5K were about to begin. Us 5kers were starting the race with the half marathoners and it felt odd, but yet I felt like we were all equal. We started in the same spot and ran the same course for about half a mile and then they split off in another direction, it was at that point that I was incredibly happy to NOT be a marathon runner! LOL That first mile sucks, does anyone feel that way?? I told my mom, the first mile sucks and that last mile sucks.  She then asked me, is there any part that doesn't suck and I said the 2 mile is good, I feel like I have a good pace by mile 2! And then mile 3 hits me in the face and I want to quit!! LOL. 
This is about mid-way through the race. This is where my awesome parents met me for the 2nd time!

You can barely see me, but I am running towards the camera. This is the part of the race where I am like "Thank the Lord I am almost done!" 

After the race with R. I am probably trying to hit that darn button.

This race was incredibly special for me because my parents were there to root me on and not only did they see me take off, but they got in the car and met me in 2 different spots. I am so blessed to have family members do that for me. Another reason why this one was so special was because R actually crossed the finish line WITH ME! My parents were standing just before the finish line and because it wasn't crazy busy, my mom and R decided to "race me" to the finish line, but right before I crossed the line I decide to just pick that kid up and have him cross the finish line with me! It was an amazing feeling to cross that line with my favorite little guy! I wish we had a picture, but we don't. I am really hoping some random person will post one on facebook because I saw people taking pics. After I finished the race I tried to hit the stupid button on my phone to stop "Mapmyrun" app, but it took forever. So once I finally got that pushed it said this.
For me, this was AMAZING!

I am pretty sure if I look at the official time that I was UNDER 30 minutes. I wanted to PR, but I never thought I would be able to shave about 4 minutes off my time from April. Also, the lady on my app said at mile 1 that I ran a mile in 9 minutes and 8 seconds!!! AWESOME (please use your high singing voice to read that word!!)  Then at mile two she said something about 19 minutes and it dawned on me that I could finish this sucker in under 30 minutes. Is that possible? Heck yeah it is. Go for it!! So I tried to push myself that last mile and had I not slowed down to run with R and then slowed down to pick him up or had a problem hitting the button on my app, I think you would see something more like 29:30. But that is okay, crossing that finish line with my son meant the world to me! 

After the race everyone in my family was hungry so we went out to eat and I wasn't really that hungry, but figured I had better eat something. So I got an omlette with salsa and it was pretty good. I was proud of myself for not going Carb crazy, normally after the race I want to eat Carbs like they are going out of style, this time I didn't.  Maybe something I am doing is actually working! But I did come home and take a nap. the night before was really catching up with me. 

After my nap, R and I decided to head back to Salina so I could get some house work done. I didn't get crap done! I ended up taking a much needed shower and then this happened. 
sometimes you just need a beer to put make up on!! LOL 

On Sunday it was father's day and we spent the morning at the Zoo and then came home for lunch and put R down for a nap. Afterwards we were all pretty lazy, but I ended up going to the dreaded Wal-Mart and got a few (thousand) items that we have been out of because I HATE going to Wal-Mart. When I got home it was time for supper and Jed had requested Turkey Ruben sandwiches. I did the best I could and I will have to say they tasted pretty darn good.  I ate the same bread they did and all the other stuff as well, I thought this can be my cheat meal. It was good, but man oh man I felt like marshmallow guy from Ghostbusters. 

And then we went on a 3-wheeler chopper ride. What is a 3-wheeler chopper ride, you are asking?? Well it is this:
Yeah that is right, I got on one of those babies.  It was a short ride, but since it was Jed's day I decided that I could ride one of those suckers for a little bit if it would make him happy.  And from the smile on his face, he was pretty happy. 

And that is our weekend. Man that took forever to write, sorry. Like I said, we have some pretty lazy moments, but then some pretty busy moments. I hope y'all had a GREAT weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Jessica! Both on taking a ton of time off your 5K PR and on your restraint when eating. Keep it up. You're an inspiration. Love ya!