Friday, June 7, 2013

Dirty little secrets

So I got sick on Wednesday!! I had some kind of stupid stomach bug. I was not feeling the best.  I had a bad stomachache and a REALLY bad headache. So I have not been to the gym since Tuesday and I feel like a slacker. Plus when I am sick I have a hard time staying away from my comfort food which is grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream. So of course this meant I had both of them, but that is okay because I haven't gained any weight. This brings me to my secret/confession. I pretty much weigh myself EVERY DAY. There are some days that I completely forget about it, but for the most part I weigh myself every day. I know this is NOT the healthiest thing to do, but it helps me stay accountable. I do have to say that I have a much better attitude when it comes to the scale then I use to.  I HATED my scale before I started this blog and in fact I hated even after I started this blog. I hated that I had to tell ya'all what my weight is, (I still can't believe the whole world can know my weight at any given moment) and how it wasn't really budging and it still isn't budging at the pace I would like it to move. But with all that said, the scale is just a scale now.  It doesn't dictate my mood for the day anymore. It is JUST A NUMBER!! It is a number that I like to see go down, but I also know that on any given day it could go up!!! It going up isn't the end of the world either. It can go up for many reasons, bloating, muscle gain, not enough sleep, rest days, etc. The other thing that the number on the scale tells me is how I am doing with my workouts and it ENCOURAGES me to push it harder. So what if that number is higher, the next workout I will push myself a little harder or it reminds me that I can't be so fickle with my eating (I don't like to say diet because I don't think I will go back to the way I was eating, EVER). I used to turn into the INCREDIBLE HULK if the number on the scale went higher.
My hulk days are behind me. Well when it comes to the scale any ways. If you don't use your blinker when you are turning, well you might see this in your rear view mirror. FREAKING USE YOUR BLINKER!!

Back to that scale. I am luke warm when it comes to my scale now. If that number goes down then that is great, but I realize that when it goes down that it is still just a number.  What really gets me going is my clothes.  When they fit better than they use to, that is great. When they are too big that is the most awesome thing in the world (when it comes to weight loss). I would like to see myself in the 150's, but if I don't make it to that point this summer that is okay. I would rather have all my clothes be too big and have to find a whole new wardrobe (my husband will not be excited about the $$, but he will be happy that I met my goals).

So how did I come to this realization about the scale? Well I got tired of being mad at the scale, it isn't the scale's fault that the number wasn't moving or that it was going up. It was my fault and that is a good thing because it meant that I could do something about it!! For too long I blamed my weight gain on too many factors: my husband doesn't want to eat healthy, eating healthy is too expensive, there is no time for exercising, I have a 2 year old, I have a job, etc....... People there are a million excusing, but what I am learning is that none of them are good enough. Make the time, I promise you, you will feel better afterwards. If you don't have the money for a gym membership then do push ups, go to a play ground and do pull-ups, search the internet for a at-home-workout. I let excuses take over my life for too long and I'm done with it. What happens to my body from here on out is my responsibility. I am NOT perfect and I don't pretend to be. I am not a health nut (not yet any ways!!), but I am doing my best to make improvements. I still like my beer and like I said at the beginning there is nothing better than a grilled Cheese sandwich or ice cream, but I don't have those every day any more. Beer is a weekend thing now (even on a beautiful day, I keep beer for weekends only) and Ice Cream is something I have maybe once a week or sometimes once a month. And grilled cheese, well I gave them up completely when I tried to eat "cleaner" except when I am sick, gosh darn it, they are the only thing that make me feel better.

Some people like to break up with their scale because weighing themselves makes them too grumpy, but not me. It just helps me realize that I am either doing things right or that I need to change something up. Maybe down the road I will need to break-up with the scale, until then it is just a reminder that I am either doing something right or that I need to change it up. It may also mean that aunt flo is right around the corner, but I won't go into that!! LOL

Have a good weekend.  I am actually going to try to hit up the gym this weekend and get an extra workout since I missed Wednesday and Thursday. Once again, I am going to leave you with a picture of R.

Don't let this picture fool ya, that is a regular car meant for normal sized people. Jed has had the mini since he was in the 5th grade and last night was the first time he had R and I in it. It was a pretty cool moment if you think about it.  Jed bought that when he was in the 5th grade and now he is able to drive his family around in it. Pretty cool if you ask me!! R thinks it is pretty cool too, I am pretty sure he thinks that it is his car since it is so much smaller than the rest of our vehicles. LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment