Monday, April 21, 2014

Starting things off right

So last week I announced that I was going to start eating paleo 100% for 30 days starting today. I did start off right, I had a boiled egg and a banana for breakfast. NAILED IT. But then as I was looking around the house for a snack (because I knew a banana and an egg were not going to get to lunch time) I went to my cabinets and got out a Luna protein bar.  They are gluten free but I have NO idea of they are really considered Paleo.  So at break today I thought I would research Paleo a little bit more. And as I was researching it, I realized that Paleo really isn't ONE SET OF RULES.  It seems like there are A LOT of variations of it.

I got a little frustrated but then a lot of the websites kept talking about this WHOLE 30 diet.  And so I looked some stuff up on that and decided that is probably where I need to start.  The main idea behind Paleo is to "Eat whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, nourishing foods. Prioritize grass fed and pastured meats and eggs, wild-caught seafood, and vegetables. Enjoy fruit, nuts, and seeds in moderation." That quote is from Nom Nom Paleo's website.  You can find that Here.  But then there is this grey area around cheese, potatoes, sweets, dairy, etc. And the reason those are so grey is because some people like to fit them into their diet and it works out GREAT, but then other people can't digest dairy so they don't include that in their diet. So there is no ONE set of guidelines when it comes to the grey area foods.  But in that same website she suggested starting off with the Whole 30 diet. It is more strict, but it helps you figure out what foods fit your body best.  And to do that, you start off by eliminating all of the grey area foods. So that is what I am going to do. I will start off with the Whole 30 for 30 days and then I will revaluate things. I honestly think I process dairy pretty well, but I want to give my body a chance to really get back to basics before I jump to any conclusions and who knows maybe after 30 days my body won't want dairy any more.

I wanted to give you an update on what is going because I felt like I let people down when I had that protein bar because I wasn't 100% sure if it was paleo or not. I went to the Library over lunch and got a book over the WHOLE 30 and I'm hoping to get a better idea of what the heck I am doing. So I may have to be a "Half ass paleo dieter" until I can get a better idea of what I need to get this thing started. So I am hoping that by Wednesday of this week I will be able to get this thing jump started or if I was a typical person I would start May 1st. NAH, I'm not a typical person. So probably Wednesday or Friday I will have some recipes for you all or at least a weeks worth of menu ideas.

Also, we had a GREAT Easter weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed this years Easter.  I have to say, being a mom makes the holidays that much better.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching R hunt for Easter eggs and enjoy the holiday festivities.  He really liked decorating the eggs.

 
 
 
I figured he would throw a HUGE fit about the ears, but he actually liked them.
 
 
And this one is my FAVORITE.  These two melt my heart every time.
 
The one thing I love about R is that he is a LOVER.  He honestly cares about people and animals. He can be such a sweetie.
 
But the frosting on the cake was when R said "We had a great day," to his grandma. Just out of the blue that is what he said. I am glad between me, his dad, grandparents, great grandparents and cousins we can give him a GREAT day.
 
 
How was your Easter??
 
Anyone want to join me in the Whole 30?? Come on, someone has to want to. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment